Digital marketing has indeed transitioned from being a secondary option to the primary channel for marketing in the last five years. Digital marketing agencies have witnessed the evolution of digital marketing from a static marketing channel to an ever-changing one. However, before we dive into how digital marketing has impacted the present times, let’s do a quick recap, shall we?
The worldwide web (WWW) went online in 1991, it became the dominant platform for digital marketing in 2000-2010. This was a gradual transition.
In 2000, the internet became an integral part of our daily lives.
In 2001, both online retailing and online advertising were booming. This was due to the increased use of search engines and social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter for product promotion by the best SEO services in Kolkata and worldwide.
By 2002, Google’s revenue had risen from $3 billion to $30 billion.
Google introduced Gmail, which became an instant hit with consumers due to features such as email archiving, automatic filters, labels, folders, and unlimited message storage space. It also enabled users to access their inbox from any computer or mobile device equipped with a web browser or app.
YouTube began in 2004 as a video-sharing website that allowed people to upload videos that were limited in length (up to 15 minutes) but could be easily shared across the internet.
Many changes have occurred in the last 20 years that have aided this industry’s exponential growth. At a glance, among them are the following:
- Online advertising was just getting started in 2000.
- The World Wide Web became more accessible in 2001, and consumers began to use social media in 2003.
- Google launched its search engine in 1998, and it increased because it could crawl and index websites faster than anyone else. In addition, because of how much traffic they could bring into their website, their value increased because people significantly began to trust Google more than other search engines.
- By 2004, online advertising had become so popular that people began developing tools for marketers who used it.
- In 2010, Google started using the Hummingbird algorithm.
- In 2011, Facebook released their new timeline design and made it a central part of the website. Social media and online marketing became popular with a growth of more than 150% in Facebook shares.
- In 2012, mobile internet usage increased to about 30% of all internet usage and became the most used type of device for accessing the internet.
- In 2013, Snapchat was released by Evan Spiegel and Bobby Murphy as a disappearing picture messaging app for iOS devices. In 2016, Instagram launched Instagram Stories which allowed users to share stories for 24 hours before they disappear from the main feed.
- In 2015, Google declared that mobile would become the main medium for digital advertising and e-commerce, which led to increased mobile traffic and sales of mobile devices in 2016 and 2017 respectively.
IMPACT OF GOOGLE’S ALGORITHM
Google recently changed its algorithm, which has impacted the SEO industry. The most recent change was announced in October 2018 and is known as “Mobile-First Indexing.”
Mobile-First Indexing means that search results will be delivered to mobile devices first, followed by desktop computers. This means that your website must be optimized for mobile users only and that it must load quickly on both desktop and mobile devices.
This new algorithm change continues to impact how people find content online and the type of content they seek.
THE BERT ALGORITHM
Google’s Bert algorithm is one of the most significant changes in search engine optimization. It was designed to provide a much better understanding of how users are searching and the intent behind their searches.
This makes it more difficult for marketers to optimize their websites and blogs because they must now focus on what the user wants instead of focusing on keywords that people may be searching for.
The update was created to prevent over-optimization. This means that if you rank on Google’s first page, you will be in the best position for conversions.
Further Reading: https://www.digitalmarketinglab.co.in/bert-algorithm-used-by-google/
Google’s Core Web Vitals Ranking Factors
Core Web Vitals Ranking Factors refers to websites that contain unique content and relevant information for their targeted audience. The main goal of these websites is to increase traffic by attracting high-quality visitors through Search engine optimization.
Major Ranking Factors of Google include PageRank, backlinks, content quality, bounce rate, and keyword usage. The steps involved in creating a website start with choosing an appropriate domain name. Then, it consists of writing a great content strategy, adding meta tags and keywords accordingly, designing your blog or landing page, selecting hosting providers that provide good customer support, etc. This shift is not only a challenge for SEOs, but also an excellent opportunity for those who have worked hard to build their businesses and provide quality content to their customers.
Digital marketing trends for 2022
Without further ado, let’s talk about the digital marketing trends for 2022.
The Rise of AI in Digital Marketing
AI is quickly becoming the biggest revolution in digital marketing. The Rise of AI in Digital Marketing is due to its automation of repetitive tasks and analysis.
The benefits of AI are:
- Better customer service with fewer calls.
- More effective campaigns by offering personalized services to customers that fit their needs and what they want.
- More accurate target audience profiling for better ROI on marketing campaigns.
Chatbots and Voice Assistants
A chatbot is a software application that uses artificial intelligence to simulate text or voice conversations with human users. Chatbots are frequently used in customer service and marketing. They can be programmed to perform various tasks such as providing product or service information, scheduling appointments, ordering food or gifts, processing payments, and so on.
Some of the advantages of including a chatbot on your website are as follows:
- It provides an interactive experience for customers who want more personalized interactions than traditional websites provide.
- It makes it easier for your company to provide personalized responses based on the needs and preferences of each customer.